No longer the cellar dwellers?
The Flyers (16-22-6) can move out of last place in the Metropolitan Division when they visit the Devils (16-20-7) Saturday.
Let’s look at the essentials:
• When: 1 p.m. ET with Flyers Pregame Live at 12:30 p.m.
• Where: Prudential Center
• Broadcast: NBC Sports Philadelphia
• Live stream: NBCSportsPhiladelphia.com and the NBC Sports MyTeams app
• With a victory in regulation, the Flyers (38 points) will slide ahead of the Devils (39 points). The Flyers, who have been in the Metro basement since New Year’s Day, also have a chance to win consecutive games for just the second time since mid-November.
The other time came Dec. 18-20, when Carter Hart won his first two career starts in the Flyers’ first two games under interim head coach Scott Gordon.
• The Flyers have had a nightmarish time on the road. They are 1-7-2 in their last 10 games away from the Wells Fargo Center, a stretch in which they’ve been outscored 44-20. Yes, that is nearly 4½ goals allowed per game.
The Prudential Center hasn’t been a fun place for the Flyers, either. They’ve lost four of their last five trips to Newark, New Jersey.
For as bad as the Devils are on the road (5-15-3), they’ve been much better at home (11-5-4).
• The Flyers will catch a break with not having to see Taylor Hall, last season’s Hart Memorial Trophy winner. The 27-year-old winger is out with a lower-body injury and has been a problem for the Flyers in the past, scoring 21 points (nine goals, 12 assists) in 17 lifetime matchups.
• Carter Hart will make his ninth start. After converting a career-high 37 saves in the Flyers’ 2-1 win Thursday over the Stars, the 20-year-old lowered his goals-against average to 2.46 and raised his save percentage to .920.
When you have a goalie that’s making big stops and has that coolness to him, for whatever reason, you can definitely feel that on the ice.
I would be curious to see what his heart rate gets to because he seems so cool under pressure.
James van Riemsdyk-Claude Giroux-Travis Konecny
Oskar Lindblom-Sean Couturier-Jakub Voracek
Scott Laughton-Nolan Patrick-Wayne Simmonds
Michael Raffl-Phil Varone-Dale Weise
Ivan Provorov-Travis Sanheim
Shayne Gostisbehere-Radko Gudas
Robert Hagg-Christian Folin
Click here to download the MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Flyers, Sixers and Phillies games easily on your device.