Six Philadelphia Eagles crack CBS Sports’ Top 100 list.
The Philadelphia Eagles‘ victory tour continues in ‘The City of Brotherly Love’. On the same day ‘The Birds’ begin a three-day session of mandatory minicamp, CBS Sports’ Pete Prisco released his list of the Top 100 NFL Players of 2018.
It’s always interesting to see where everybody falls, isn’t it.
Fletcher Cox was the highest ranked player on the list at number 36. Really?
That ranks him as the second-highest defensive tackle on the list, behind Calais Campbell of the Jags. Most would see that as too low. Still, while debate is almost certain to follow, let’s take a moment and check out Prisco’s skinny on Cox as well as the other mentioned Eagles:
Here are the highlights from the top-ranked players on the list:
36. Fletcher Cox: He is a disruptive force inside for the Eagles, a guy who plays the run really well is also a good pass rusher.
Brandon Graham, author of the greatest strip-sack in Eagles’ history, came in at number 58. Take a look at the commentary:
54. Brandon Graham: He doesn’t pile up huge sack numbers – getting 9½ last season — but his presence is felt with the way he consistently pressures the quarterback.
You probably expected some controversy (and you were right). Here’s some of the more debatable entries.
70. Carson Wentz: He was in the MVP conversation last season before he was lost with a torn ACL. He’s expected back for the opener, and he should be back to his winning ways.
Jason Kelce, Philly’s starting center and a man who may be able to run for political office in Philly when his playing days are over, came in at number 72.
72. Jason Kelce: His smarts and quickness are imperative to the Eagles offense as he remains one of the top centers.
The best tight end in the league, Zach Ertz, came in at number 82.
82. Zach Ertz: He was a big reason why the Eagles’ offense was able to help the team win a Super Bowl. He had 74 catches with eight touchdowns.
Malcolm Jenkins rounds out the list of Eagles at number 88. Just like the NFL Network’s Top 100 Players of 2018, he’s ranked too low. Still, it’s obvious that he should be on anyone’s list of the top players in the NFL and he makes the cut here.
88. Malcolm Jenkins: He is a versatile player who can do a lot of things and is a big reason why the Eagles are the Super Bowl champs.
Let the debate begin.